So this past weekend was Pearl Harbor. The exact date is Dec. 7, 1941. It’s crazy to think that it’s only been 78 years since that fateful day. It amazes me how much things have changed since then. Granted, things today are similar to that time in many ways. The world still seems to not be able to quite get along. We’ve had wars since then and the world saw another attack happen on american soil. Since Pearl Harbor though, no enemy of the American people has managed an attack on American soil until 9/11. I think that fact is amazing!
Anyway, I’m going to put some common facts about Pearl Harbor:
- Pearl Harbor was on Dec. 7, 1941 before 8 am.
- The USA and Japan had already been on a path to war.
- Japan declared war on China in 1937 which created the Nanking Massacre.
- Pearl Harbor, Hawaii is located about 4,000 miles from Japan.
- Pearl Harbor, Hawaii is located about 2,000 miles from the U.S. mainland.
- American Intelligence was confident that any Japanese aggression would happen somewhere closer to the South Pacific.
- Most of the American aircraft carriers were away on Dec. 7th.
- The day after Pearl Harbor, Congress approved Roosevelt’s declaration of war on Japan.
There you have it folks, a few facts about Pearl Harbor. There’s actually a lot more cool information regarding the incident but I would just recommend that you take the time, if you’re interested, and look it up. One of the things that I have always treasured with me is the phrase that, “Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it” – George Santayana-1905 and Winston Churchill. I believe that statement wholeheartedly and I have seen in my own family where this has taken place. I doesn’t just apply to world history, it applies to your family history as well.
There you have it folks!
Be Strong and Courageous